Full disclosure: I’m taking a career break.
I started this blog several months ago when I realized I wouldn’t survive in the position I had – that I didn’t want to. But I felt like I had to keep it a secret, because god-forbid anyone from work could actually confirm how unhappy I was. I needed the stability of full-time employment.
No need for secrets now! I can let it all hang out. I’ve been job hunting for months, and haven’t seen anything even remotely interesting worth even applying for… the next job will not just be any old job. I want to love it! I’ve been working with a therapist and a career counselor to drill down on some things going on personally and professionally, and as a result I realized some important things over the last few months which will help focus my job hunt (and my future):
- I need projects that allow me to be creative. I want to work with color, and graphics, and text. I want to create things that are pretty, or interesting, or inspiring.
- I’d like to find a way to incorporate my creative itch with my interest in fitness, wellness, or the outdoors.
- I am not one of those people who can work any job for a paycheck. I wish I could, but I really need to enjoy what I’m doing.
So here I am, taking the career break I was mentally, emotionally, and financially unprepared for until now… and feeling surprisingly good. I’m going to come back and read this tomorrow morning after I have a panic attack about finances, health insurance, and my uncertain future. Then then I will be fine… I will take a few deep breaths, and go do something that makes me happy. Something I would NEVER be able to do on a normal Friday, because I’d normally be at work. Hah!
My immediate future looks like this:
- Run more, because I’m training for my first half-marathon (and ultimately for the RunDisney Princess Half Marathon weekend).
- Do more yoga.
- Go for some solo adventures in nature. The solo part is normal… having the time to go on adventures is abnormal. I’m looking forward to it.
- Volunteer. Give back to my community. Do well by doing good.
- SLEEP IN. Unless I’m getting up early to run with a buddy.
- Network! Network! Network! I’m not a fan of networking, but it’s necessary. It’s who you know, right?
- Take some classes, pick up some new skills. Get certified in desktop publishing.
- Take a photography class… I have a beautiful camera that I received as a gift when I was writing my personal style blog, and now I barely use it. I know nothing about this camera.
- Blog more. Really. I miss it. I’ve had some epic outfits lately, and I kept thinking it would be awesome if I could share them with the world. I have a lot of epic stuff going on now, too, so maybe I should blog about that. I can literally blog about anything I want. That’s so… freeing.
I’m looking forward to spending some time figuring out what my future will look like. Honestly, it’s scary not having the dependability of a full-time job with health insurance, but I’m a strong, independent woman. I am going to craft the life I want to live, and come out on the other end a better person.
Have you ever considered taking a career break? What do you feel is holding you back?